Valdez Museum internship
The Valdez Museum is now recruiting for a paid internship for an 8-week period beginning in September 2019.
The focus of the Valdez Museum internship will be the systematic re-cataloguing of artifacts in the museum’s mezzanine storage at the Remembering Old Valdez Exhibit.
Collections management activities:
- Catalog and inventory in PastPerfect
- Accession of items found in collections
- Documentary photography of each item
- Condition-assessment of each item
- Cleaning of items when needed
- Re-house and/or stabilize items
- Update home location codes for each item
- Consolidation of like items in storage
Interns will be expected to provide feedback and expertise regarding other aspects of collection management as needed.
Interns may also be requested to learn and perform professional museum functions on an as-needed basis, including but not limited to: exhibit fabrication and production, artifact research, and basic conservation.
Qualified applicants will have collection management experience and be enrolled in or completed graduate level coursework in Museum Studies. Applicants must provide the following: a cover letter, two letters of recommendation, college transcript and résumé. Please send all inquiries to: Patricia Relay, Executive Director, Valdez Museum and Historical Archive, P.O. Box 8, Valdez, Alaska, 99686, (907) 835-2764 or email email@example.com.
Applications are due by May 21, 2019.